Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The meaning of life

What’s the meaning of life?

Ah, if I knew, I certainly would let you all know.

I’ve always wondering what’s the meaning of it all. Shit, I wrote and worked on a script about a character searching for meaning of life. I still go back to it and work on it constantly, it’s the whale, and I’m Ahab.

Is the meaning of life to work 9 hours a day, five days a week, for 45 years or so and then retire and die?

Hmmmm, I’m starting to think not.

After working very hard to get where I am now (which isn’t very far) I’m starting to rethink the whole thing.

Maybe I’m missing out on life, the wonderful things around me, the adventure life brings, new experiences, traveling and the full opportunities that randomness offers.

Maybe we all are...

What if I sold everything I had, packed my few remaining possessions into a car and just traveled the US, doing odd jobs and experiencing new places and people?

Well, that’s not exactly ‘responsible’ or at least not what American society considers to be so. You’re supposed to stay in one place, have a career, buy a home, have a family etc.

Basically, life in the US comes down to one major factor- MONEY.

If you have money, you can do anything you want. If you don’t, then you work until you have money.

Wellllll fuck that! I’m sick of taking a majority of my time everyday to work to get money. But what the hell can I do about it right?

Man, there’s got to be a better way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Play the lottery...

Anonymous said...

Have you read "Into The Wild?" If not you need to. I have been thinking the exact same thing as you....Maybe it is a sibling connection or maybe it is the fact that our Father had the same idea, just went about it in the completely wrong way?