Tuesday, February 19, 2008

HORSE and how it’s hard to get back to work


Man, its hard getting back into work today. Whenever you take 5 days off of work, its like work doesn’t exist. Then you get back and its like you were never gone in the first place. But it’s been tougher this time than others to get back into the swing of things.

I have a ton of stuff to take care of before my screening tomorrow. I feel a little nervous about the whole thing, I guess I won’t feel good about it until it’s all done and everyone has come and gone.

Plus, I had such a great time the last five days it’s hard to give that up to sit this office all day.

I went to Phoenix to visit my sister Moo, my brother and his new baby and my mom and pop as you may know. It was a good time had by most, even though there were some arguments, disagreements, unnecessary pressure from my sister to drive her around and entertain her. Amongst all that, a special thing happened.

We had one of those family bonding moments that you will look back on for decades after. My whole family played HORSE out front of my parent’s house on the little basketball hoop that my parents have.

It was one of those completely unplanned things that just randomly happen but feel so organic. My sister and I picked up the ball and started shooting around. Soon, one by one, everyone else was out front, taking jump shots or trying to bounce one of the ground into hoop.

My sister couldn’t miss for some reason. I lost to her numerous times. I have plenty of excuses though. We were playing on an 8 foot tall hoop, I’m used to regulation of course.

My brother and dad were as good as usual. My brother’s wife was able to make jump shots with my baby nephew strapped to her chest. We took a bunch of photos of my nephew looking like he was about to dunk the ball. My friend Kyle was there to win a couple games. Even my mom and girlfriend were shooting pretty well.

Everyone was laughing and having a good time. At one point I looked at everyone smiling and thought, this is what life is all about. Family, fun, laughter, smiles. I figured right then and there that will be one of the best times of my life. I better enjoy it now before it is gone, and all of the people there are long dead. (morbid I know, but that’s what I thought about).

Years from now, I will remember this moment fondly like I am right now, as I sit at my work desk wishing that I could be there again, trying to shoot a hook shot from behind the mailbox.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is funny you thought that while playing, I was thinking the exact thing. That is one of the best days I have had in a really long time. It probably helps I kicked your ass and others as well. I cannot wait for a re-match.