Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Shawn Marion needs a hug


Shawn Marion of the Phoenix Suns was my favorite player for many years. His highflying dunks, intense defense and ugly jump shot won me over. But that was before he got a little too big for his britches. He went from being a complimentary player to a guy who complained that he wasn't the focal point.

But you could always tell there was something not right about Shawn. He seems uncomfortable in his own skin at times. He's a guy who wants to brag and jump around, but deep down inside, he's shy. Unsure of himself. He carries himself as the cock of the walk but behind closed doors, would be unsure about his standing in the public's eye. He’s jealous of everyone else getting attention that he felt he deserved.

It came as no surprise to me that he declared today that he wants to be traded.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3036829

This last weekend, I visited Phoenix and my family. My mom, girlfriend and I went to the Suns team shop so I could cop a new pair of Suns orange shorts, a bumper sticker and a special gift for Dayn, since he was watching my fish while I was gone.

I told my mom as we walked past a Shawn Marion mini statue that I didn't think by this time next year that Marion would be on the Suns. She agreed.

Strange right? Not really. There are so many factors that are leading to this likely breakup.

First off, MONEY. The Suns have a ton of salary cap killing contracts on their team. They gave away three draft picks and Kurt Thomas this summer to cut salary, even though Thomas was the only teammate who could guard Tim Duncan.

Because of this money issue EVERYONE except Steve Nash was thrown into trade rumors, including Amare Stoudemire, who Marion appears to be the most jealous of. That's part of the business.

The money problem only intensifies the biggest problem EGO.

Marion's angry, "Why they dissing me? Why don't they like me? Why would they include my name in trade rumors?" Boo hoo. Get over it already. You know the business, you make the most money on a team filled with high dollar contracts, and of course you are going to be examined in possible trade scenarios.

But more over, it's this seething jealousy and blows to Marion's ego that are causing this. He doesn't want to be second fiddle. Certainly not third fiddle behind Amare and Nash. He wants to be on all the billboards, win the MVP's, and get all the commercials.

I'm not in the locker room personally but from what I have read from many articles and Jack McCollum’s book "7 seconds or less", it seems like it brings down the entire roster. He pulls everyone into some high school bullshit.

It's him before the team.

I say, good riddance. Get the fudge out Marion. I just hope that Steve Kerr can get more for Marion than Lamar Odom or Andrei Kirilenko.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you feel about AK47 for Marion? Would be better than Odom...

Anonymous said...

Richard Jefferson for Marion. As big an RJ fan as I am.. They love him out there in Arizona and the Matrix would fit in better with JKidd and VC in my opinion.