Monday, October 8, 2007

DJaying crack



I almost impulse bought more DJ equipment this weekend. Not that I need it, I haven't played a club in over five years. But man, when I saw that equipment, I almost dropped $600.

You see, DJaying is like Crack.

First, it’s an expensive habit. Just buying the equipment to start out is freaking outrageous. Then the music is expensive since you have to buy more and more and more songs. The only time it is financially rewarding is if you start playing out and get paid to play, then you become the crack dealer I suppose.

Second, it’s addictive. When you start playing shows and clubs you get a buzz, you’re making the crowd move. There is nothing like the feeling when you have the ultimate mix of songs perfectly beat matched and the party is jumping and dancing. You want that feeling more and more all the time. Plus, even playing at home is addictive. You crave the feel of vinyl on your fingers, the beat, the perfect mix, the scratching (not from DJ disease, but cutting up your favorite songs. Might I recommend EPMD’s “You’re a Customer”).

Third, it’s really bad for you. You stay out late all the time, you’re drinking, you’re eating bad food, you’re surrounded by smoke, you might end up with some groupie… that brings up…

Fourth, it can lead to bad relationships. You meet all sorts of people DJaying; groupie girls, wannabe DJ’s, MC’s and producers who are more criminals than music lovers. I had way too many run ins with these people, with dangerous results.

Because of these factors, I decided long ago that I wanted to concentrate on film making instead of music. I figured there was more money in film. Judging by my current financial struggles, I might be wrong on that one…

But still, hanging out at nightclubs sucks, to me at least. I don’t like the people, don’t like the scene, don’t like the top 40 music that you are required to play. The Top 40 song requests are what really forced me out, I hate having groupie girls come up and ask you to play some bullshit that hurts your ears.

Lately when I go out, I go to bars that play GOOD music, stuff that I like. It makes me think, maybe there is a chance that I could get a gig playing what I WANT TO PLAY. Hall and Oates mixed with Mobb Deep. Led Zeppelin mixed with Run DMC. Weezer mixed with… well you get the idea.

The problem is it takes time to dj. You have to get your mixes right, make a good CD to get some gigs, cultivate your business and work every night until 2 AM plus. Kind of takes time out of the whole writing/directing/producing thing…

I’m still undecided about making a comeback but man, that djaying crack is calling me back….

No comments: