Thursday, October 11, 2007

Homeless



LA must be the best place for homeless people to live. Great weather, amazing tips from guilty feeling rich people, plenty of liberal places that will take care of them.

I have such a hate/jealousy relationship with homeless people. They get to hang outside all day, as I stare out my window at work wishing I could sit in the park. They have it easy on making money; I struggle to move up the movie world ladder.

I hate the fact that I have to pay a 'toll' when I walk past these people. They get so pissed if you don't give them money, like its written somewhere that you have to give homeless people money to go to 7-11. Fuck that shit. Big time fuckitty fuck that shit.

Man, sometimes I wish I were homeless. Partially homeless maybe. Like I had a house, took showers and wore nice clothes but I had no job but panhandling and taking handouts.

Really, panhandling is like a job. You have to go around and ask people for money, that’s kind of work right? The thing is, for me, it would be very humiliating, but for true homeless folk, its nothing. It’s like sitting down at your desk at work, just part of the daily grind.

But the tips, man, if they go for my girlfriend, they get like 4 dollars. 4 dollars a minute, that’s not a bad job right. Sure, it’s a numbers game where you gotta ask a ton of people like me who tell you to fuck off and die, but you get 10 Justin’s girlfriend an hour, that’s 40 bucks right there. I'm pretty sure that’s 4 times what I make an hour, I’ll have to figure out my hourly rate...

But there is a silver lined cloud for these people in the horizon…

Not many people know this but my father was homeless for about two months. No shit, that’s not even a joke. He got into a fight with my stepmom and got thrown in jail and when he got out, he couldn’t go back to her. What did he do? He panhandled and slept on the cold ass streets of Ann Arbor Michigan. And in Michigan, the tips aren’t nearly as big as they are in sunny Cali.

You know what happened though? It cleaned him up. He stopped drinking and wanted to do something with his life. He got a job at Home Depot, saved money, rented a cute little house and got his shit back together.

It was the first time that he didn’t want to be a mooch. He wanted a life of his own. Unfortunately, my step mom saw how good he was doing and took him back, leading to him to go back into mooching and drinking… but that’s not the point.

The point is that my Dad was able to take his butt off the streets, when he didn’t have anything, and get a job, home and an X Box. How? By trying, that’s it.

Why doesn’t all homeless people do this I ask myself?

Because society is like my step mom, we want to help these people, but giving them what you have is just allowing them to stay that co-dependent.

I beg you all-

Stop giving panhandlers money people, you are just encouraging them to stay homeless. If it’s not a lucrative business, then they will have no choice but to look for other ways of making money, like getting a job.

If this doesn’t change soon, I’m going to cave in. You’re going to see me on the street corner with a sign that says, “Will beg for money…”

No comments: